So tonight I’m messing around on Facebook and Cricket asked the question:
Where would you like to see yourself 5 years from now. Is there something in your life that you would want to be different by then?
Many of us wanted to be financially stable, 5 years younger, billionaire and all the usual stuff. I love goal setting but I love achieving them even more and as I finished up writing my response to the discussion I had the brilliant thought that it needed to be here on my Goals Blog… Light bulb!
My original response was : Partway to first million in investments, not working for the State but working for myself or at least in the Valley closer to home, Financially stable and no longer part of the “poverty” group, far fewer things to completely re-do on the house and more “fun” projects possible, kids in HS and doing well with their own nest egg set aside for college/adulthood. Oh yeah… tickets already bought for multiple vacations to where ever I feel like going! HAHAHAHA You do realize this just inspired a blog post for me!
Well I want to expand the details of HOW I want to get to each goal!
- Partway to first million in investments- a very doable thing since there is about $10k in each of 2 retirement plans that the State has going already but I want to invest more in stocks – long term ones that pay dividends quarterly, bonds at least short term earning something in interest and good for “rainy day” emergencies
- Not working for the State but working for myself or at least in the Valley closer to home – seriously do able as more jobs are popping up in the Valley along with the fact I’m looking at an invention, multiple websites and a couple business ideas that will be starting on serious shoestrings… more like fine thread but sometime soon I know it’ll happen!
- Financially stable and no longer part of the “poverty” group – this goes with the first 2 on the list investments for later in life that bring in some income now while growing for later along with a better job and my own businesses.
- far fewer things to completely re-do on the house and more “fun” projects possible- taking care of the house is bigger than expected but I should know that a 20 yr old house would be like this… roof repairs, bathroom work, windows that will need replacing and a fence but after all that is done then I want to do a greenhouse and paint the house, the bedrooms, the kitchen, the shed, build a raised bed garden, level the yard a bit and plant better grass, cultivate the wild berries more, replace the carpets in the bedrooms with wood, tweak the garage more for sewing and crafting and build or make who knows what else in the future!
- kids in HS and doing well with their own nest egg set aside for college/adulthood – in 5 years Sera will be a Sophomore and Justice will be in 8th grade! EGADS! Time will fly and I know it and part of the investment strategy will be bonds and savings towards their future goals… Sera for Massage/Physical Therapist and Justice… ummm still unknown for now but likely something math/science/map based
- tickets already bought for multiple vacations to where ever I feel like going! I SOOO need this one now but it’s just not possible…. among possible destinations will be to visit family, Washington DC, Disney (of course), Hawaii, France, England, New Orleans and likely others I can’t even imagine actually getting to yet!